Event Planner Emergency Kit
As an event planner I have to be ready for any type of event emergency from something medical that requires a first aid kit to hanging banners and decor to dealing with missing buttons and split seams. The trick is knowing what supplies to bring to each type of event. I have two event kits, one for my corporate events and another for weddings.
Let's start with my wedding planning kit which basically requires putting Target in a box. For my weddings I want to be prepared for everything but I do not want carry around a huge tote of supplies. Over the years I have narrowed down the main items I am likely to need in a pinch during my clients very special day.
- First Aid Kit: Band aids, ice pack, Neosporin, rubber gloves, gauze, tape, butterfly closures, hand wipes, gauze pads, burn cream and tweezers. I also have a supply of Benadryl, Advil, Airborne Blast of Vitamin C and hand sanitizer gel.
- Sun and Bugs: Sunscreen, Bug Spray and Benadryl anti-itch spray for bug bites.
- Snacks: Luna Bars and Kind Bars both gluten free just in case.
- Supplies: Scissors, floral wire, double sided fabric tape, sewing kit, safety pins and regular pearl head pins (great for fixing the dress or pinning boutonnieres), scotch tape, super glue and 3M hooks.
- Toiletries and Beauty: Spray deodorant girl and guy, hair spray, cotton pads, qtips, tissues, oil absorbing sheets (very helpful right before pictures), tweezers, nail clippers, lint remover roller, static guard spray,bobbie pins, nail file, stain remover pen, feminine products, lotion and nail polish remover pads.
- Extra items: Sharpie, pens, chalkboard marker, ivory ribbon, iPhone and Android chargers and breath mints.
What Items do I use the most?
1. The anti-itch after bite spray is absolutely number 1. Here in Austin we have a lot of mosquitoes and the Benadryl anti-itch is great.
2. The second most used item is the oil absorbing sheets. With the heat here in Texas these work perfectly to get rid of the oil around the nose and forehead before my couples start taking all their lovely outdoor photos!
What Items do I not bring?
1. I do not bring any makeup products with me. It is not sanitary to reuse them, they are hard to store and every bride has as different color palette. I tell all my brides even if you are having your makeup professionally done always bring a bit of concealer, mascara and your lipstick color with you. That way after the ceremony you can have a quick touch up before the family photographs begin.
Corporate Event Kit
For Corporate Events I always have my tool box and first aid kit with me which includes:
- Tools: Set of pliers, screwdriver, hammer, tape measurer, leatherman, wrench, zip ties, box cutter and work gloves. You never know when you will have to refocus a light or in one case fix a broken door handle! I find it is best to be prepared for everything!
- Tape: Gaffer tape (white and black), non-residue duck tape, packing tape and double sided tape. Very helpful for taping down loose wires, carpet and packing up supplies after a trade show.
- Power: (2) long extension cords, (2) Power Strips and and extra set of batteries (for when the trade show TV remote runs out).
- Signage: I always have a set of acrylic 8 x 10 sign holders and 4x6 small white sign holders, extra pens and (1) black collapsable easel. Great for menu's, last minute branding, directional signage -- you name it.
- Safety: (2) locks and (2) sets of metal cables to act as emergency security measure. Great for trade show setups with lots of desktop computers. Not great looking but works in a pinch and it will make thieves think twice before trying to nick my clients items. -- This has happened to me before and having these cables in place and locking in the computers to the display table overnight is what kept them from being stolen at one of our last trade show events. --
- Extras: I always have 1 extra set of votive candles and extra lighters handy just in case. Just never ever leave them in your car because here in Texas, you will just end up with cups of wax instead! Other items are pens, sharpies and scissors.