Controlling waste at events. Top tips for eco-friendly event design.
One of the things that drives me crazy following one of our big corporate events is how much trash and decor throwaways there are. This is something that needs to change and here are my top 5 tips on how to control waste and energy consumption at your next event.
1. Use recycled or compostable materials for buffet and beverage stations such as bamboo or other recycled disposable materials. Check-out these great options from verterra, sutsyparty or ecoproducts.
2. One of the biggest places for waste is floral. This does not mean you can’t have fabulous centerpieces but have a plan in place for post event. Your planner can work with the florist to have centerpieces wrapped and put in takeaway vases for guests or take a few arrangements back to the office to add some pizazz to the office board room and front desk. Or better yet, arrange for the centerpieces to be donated to a nursing home to brighten up someone else’s day.
3. If you are exhibiting at a tradeshow see if the organizers are partnering with a service like SpinFish. They did an amazing job this year at SXSW. The group will stop by and take anything from furniture, displays, foam core and promo items that need a new home. This year at SXSW alone they collected 8,580 lbs of leftover materials!
4. At all events clearly mark your trash containers as recycle and compost. This way staff and guests will have to dispose of their items in the appropriate way. This is most successful at festivals, food and wine events and back of house with the catering staff. Side note: always make sure the staff is briefed on the waste goals for the event to ensure all items are disposed of in the correct way.
5. Energy efficiency! Use LED lighting for all of your event needs. Not only do these lights come in every color imaginable but they use a fraction of the power required of standard stage lighting.